A Warm Nourish Bowl Good For the Soul
This may be the greenest nourish bowl you'll ever see on your feed, but trust me it is so flavorful and you're going to want to save this one for THREE reasons. First, because it's delicious. Second, because it's easy to make. Third, because it is the optimal bowl to eat during your menstrual phase of your cycle.
I've been reading a book called, "In the Flo" by Alisa Vitti, and she discusses how powerful the female body is. We are able to align our four phases of our menstrual cycle with specific movements and foods to achieve optimal health. Each phase of the menstrual cycle desires varying nutrients and movements and if we were to listen to our bodies and cycle, we would be our most empowered self. This book is life changing and I'm here to tell you that you can be your best self even on your worst days of your period. This bowl is filled with the nutrients your body desires during the menstrual phase: quinoa, mushrooms, kidney beans, nuts, pumpkin seeds, and fresh herbs. Our bodies want nutrient dense foods during this time of the month and it's key to focus on protein and fat intake. Since it is also the coldest part of the cycle, it's important to nourish the body with warm foods. So, if you want to empower yourself and start choosing how to feed your body based on the phase of your menstrual cycle, keep reading! You're body is going to love you. Let's get to the recipe!
PSA: to my men on here, please don't feel like you can't enjoy this recipe. It's still delicious and a perfect lunch or dinner to enjoy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 can of white kidney beans
2. Handful of baby bella mushrooms
3. Arugula or massaged kale (your choice)
4. 1 cup of multicolored quinoa
5. ¼ cup of walnuts, crushed
6. 1 TSP pumpkin seeds
7. Extra virgin olive oil
8. Ground turmeric --> turmeric is amazing for the body during the menstrual phase
9. Kosher salt
For the Cilantro Onion Dressing:
1. 1 bunch of cilantro
2. ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
3. 3 toasted garlic cloves
4. ¼ onion
5. ½ squeezed lemon
6. Dash of black pepper
7. ⅛ TSP of red pepper flakes
1. First, grab a serving bowl and add your desired green: arugula or massaged kale.
2. Now, grab a small pot and cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of boiling water. Sprinkle on turmeric and a dash of salt. Cook until the quinoa has soaked up the water.
3. While the quinoa cooks, grab a small frying pan and add 1 TBSP of olive oil. Add your drained and cleaned kidney beans to the pan. Sauté until they have softened - 10 minutes.
4. Now, once the quinoa and kidney beans are done, add them to the bowl. You can put ¼ cup of quinoa and ½ cup of kidney beans into the bowl and save the rest for later!
5. In the same frying pan, add 1 TBSP of olive oil and sauté the mushrooms well with salt to your liking. Add them to the bowl.
6. Now, add the crushed walnuts and 1 TSP of pumpkin seeds to the bowl.
7. Next, grab a food processor and create the cilantro onion dressing with ingredients 1-7. Place it into a bowl when done, warm it in the microwave for 1 minute or less.
8. Pour the dressing over the nourish bowl to your liking.
9. Mix, and enjoy!