If you want to have dessert for breakfast, sign yourself up for this Apple & Banana Crisp Oatmeal. I had to take the flavors of fall and put them into a warm, wholesome bowl fo oatmeal. This is the perfect breakfast to make for yourself on a cozy Sunday morning or when you're working from home and want something to perk you up!
I combined oats, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond milk for the oatmeal base, and then coated the apple and banana with cinnamon and brown sugar to achieve a sweet and "apple crisp" taste. I added on almond butter and pumpkin seeds for great sources of healthy fats and fiber. This way you'll feel fuller for longer and be completely satiated after having this meal. You're going to love the flavor combos. Let's get to it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill protein oats
2. ½ cup of almond milk
3. ½ TSP vanilla extract
4. 1 TBSP maple syrup
5. ¼ honey-crise apple sliced in thin strips
6. 1/2 chopped banana
7. 1 TBSP almond butter
8. Coconut oil spray
9. Brown sugar
11. Pumpkin seeds for garnish
Replacement suggestion: Feel free to use any kind of apple. honey-crisp tastes the best when sautéed in my opinion, but any apple works!
1. Grab a small pot and place it onto the stove top on medium high heat. Add in 1 cup of oats and ½ cup of almond milk. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract in and mix well. Allow the oats to soak up the almond milk, but don't allow the oats to become too dry.
2. Prep the banana and apple. Add them to a bowl and sprinkle on brown sugar and cinnamon to your liking. Coat them well. (I personally used 1 TBSP of brown sugar)
3. Grab a small frying pan and spray in coconut oil. Add in the apple and banana. Allow them to become light brown and soft in texture.
4. Let's put it together: grab a bowl and add the oatmeal. Layer with the apple and banana. Drizzle on almond butter and garnish with pumpkin seeds.