Honeynut Squash Tomato Soup with Harissa Grilled Cheese
Updated: Oct 26
There is nothing more wholesome than tomato soup and a grilled cheese. Like do I even have to write an intro for this? This is my Honeynut Squash Tomato Soup with a Harissa Chicken Grilled Cheese sandwich. The kick of the grilled cheese combined with the sweet and savory flavors of the soup make you feel a piece of heaven in each bite.
The tomato soup is no plain tomato soup, it has garlic, onion, fresh basil, and honeynut squash. Instead of butternut squash, I tried using honeynut squash for a sweeter flavor. They were so easy to peel and chop in halves to use in the soup.
You going to absolutely love it and it was so easy and mess free to make. Make this on a cold day for you and your family, or enjoy it by yourself while you're snuggled up in a blanket watching your favorite movie. So if I've influenced you enough, let's get to the recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and vegan if you're only enjoying the soup. Otherwise, the grilled cheese has dairy and gluten.
1. 6 tomatoes - I mixed it up this time, I used 2 heirloom tomatoes and 4 plum tomatoes
2. 1 head of garlic
3. 1/2 sweet onion, whole
4. Fresh basil leaves
5. 2 Honeynut squash sliced in halves and seeds removed
6. 1 cup veggie broth
7. 2-3cups of water
8. Extra virgin olive oil
9. Salt, black pepper, crushed red chili flakes
1. 2 pieces of sourdough bread
2. Chicken breast, boiled, shredded
3. Pepperjack cheese
5. Olive oil spray
1. First, preheat the oven to 425.
2. Grab a baking sheet and add parchment paper. Layer on the tomatoes, onion, garlic, honeynut squash, and basil as seen in the picture to the left.
3. Drizzle on a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, and crushed red chili flakes to taste. Bake in the oven until you can poke a fork right through the honeynut squash. Once they are done roasting, you should be able to gently squeeze the garlic cloves out of the head. Make sure to take the basil out half way so they don't burn. You'll add them to the soup later on.
4. Have chicken breast boiled and shredded to use for the sandwich. You can opt to using a rotisserie chicken as well.
5. Once the vegetables are done roasting, gently remove them from the oven. Place them into a large pot with 3 TBSPs of olive oil. Have 2 cups of boiled water on the side and your broth ready to go. Pour in the water and broth into the pot. Mix well.
6. Allow the contents to cook for 25-30 minutes.
7. Use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients.
If you do not have one, you can add the veggies to a blender before adding them to the pot.