Shredded Chicken Breast on a Bed of Broccoli with Balsamic Glaze
The title is definitely a mouthful but I honestly can't describe it any other way! However, I do want to say this may be the most nourishing bowl I've ever made. Usually when I make nourish bowls they have a spinach, kale, or arugula base. But not this time. I used broccoli in a different way and made it the base of the bowl by simply baking it and shredding it into multiple pieces. Then, I topped it off with baby potatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, etc. It looks like any normal nourish bowl but it's completely unique! I hope you guys give it a try because it's so nutrient-dense and has all the macronutrients you would need in one meal. By the way, feel free to skip out on the chicken breast if you are a vegetarian/vegan! It will still taste as delicious. SO, let's get to the recipe!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and gluten free.
1. 1 head of broccoli
2. 1 chicken breast
3. Handful of julienned carrots
4. 5-6 teeny tiny potatoes @traderjoes (or use regular baby potatoes)
5. 6 walnuts
6. 1 TBSP of thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes
7. Extra virgin olive oil
8. 1 lemon
9. Kosher salt
10. Freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder
11. Balsamic glaze
1. First, preheat your oven to 400.
2. Next, grab a large baking pan and set it on the side.
3. Now, grab your head of washed broccoli and slice it into smaller pieces. Place it onto the baking pan.
4. Next, grab your chicken breast and make sure you brined it with cold water, white distilled vinegar, sea salt, and ½ lemon for 20 minutes. Once it's been brined, if it needs to be flattened out for tenderness, place it into a ziplock bag, and use a meat tenderizer and flatten the chicken out to your liking. Take it out of the bag and place it onto the baking pan.
5. Next, grab your potatoes and cut them each into 4 pieces. Place them all onto the baking pan.
6. Now, drizzle on a generous amount of olive oil onto the broccoli, chicken breast, and potatoes.
7. Next, season with kosher salt on all of them to your liking. Ground fresh black pepper onto all of them.
8. Add garlic powder onto the chicken breast and potatoes to your liking.
9. Add 1 TSP of paprika to the chicken breast.
10. Squeeze 1 lemon onto the chicken breast and broccoli. Make sure everything is evenly coated and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. The potatoes may need more time.
11. As you are waiting for the food to bake, julienne ½ a carrot and have your sun dried tomatoes sliced.
12. Once everything is fully baked, take them out of the oven. Shred the broccoli with your hands and add into a serving bowl. Next, shred the chicken breast and add into the bowl. Add the potatoes, the carrots, and the sun dried tomatoes.
13. Crush 6 walnuts with your hands and add them into the bowl.
14. In a separate bowl now, add 2-3 TBSPS of olive oil, 1 TBSP of balsamic glaze, ½ squeezed lemon, and kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to your liking. Mix well and drizzle onto the bowl.
15. Mix well and enjoy!