I promise, I'm not one of those people that removes the inside of bread or bagels to "eat less carbs". I just saw someone do this with trend with a bagel and thought it would work great with sourdough! My Spicy Egg-In-A-Hole recipe is great for those mornings you're in a hurry or not feeling like having a heavy breakfast. It's a light, delicious recipe and best part is that it's mess free - you'll just have to clean the pan!
Even though it's a small breakfast, you still get protein from the two eggs, carbs from the sourdough, healthy fat/fiber from the avocado, and antioxidants from the fresh parsley. I'm always adding fresh herbs to my meals like parsley & cilantro because of their health benefits - they are filled with antioxidants like polyphenols (protect the body against aging/oxidative stress) and antimicrobial compounds (help build up your immune system).
You're going to need one slice of sourdough, 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, hot chili pepper flavored olive oil, and parsley. So, let me show you how to make it!
Prep time: 2 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and vegetarian.
1. 1 slice of sourdough bread with inside removed leaving the crust
2. 2 eggs
3. ½ avocado, sliced into thin strips
4. Hot chili pepper flavored extra virgin olive oil (I bought it from Wegman's)
5. (Regular) extra virgin olive oil
6. Fresh parsley to garnish
7. Salt & black pepper
1. Grab a medium-sized frying pan and pour in less than 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
2. Once you can smell the olive oil, add in the bread with the inside removed. Toast on both sides (30 secs each side).
3. Now, crack in 2 eggs on opposite sides into the toast.
4. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and cook the eggs to your liking. I like them a bit runny.
5. Remove from the pan to a serving plate of choice.
6. Garnish with avocado, parsley, and hot chili pepper flavored olive oil to your liking.