Spicy Lentil and Basmati Rice Soup
If you're feeling ill one day, I'm going to need you to get yourself to make this soup or have someone else make it for you. I'm all about healing our bodies with food, and if you have a good relationship with food you can start to figure out what certain foods' purposes are. In this soup, you have Aleppo Pepper that contains vitamin C and beta-carotene, which have strong antioxidant properties and can fight against infections. Then you have hot pepper paste which benefits the digestive tract, fights the flu, and promotes a healthy heart. Next you have lentils which are rich in iron and health-promoting polyphenols, which have strong anti-inflammatory properties. The health benefits from this soup goes on, but I'm trying to prove that if you consciously choose what foods to eat, you can heal your body the way YOU want to. Focus on nutrients and health benefits more than calories and trust me, your body will do the rest of the work. This soup is incredibly delicious, so if you want a new and spicy soup in your life, keep reading. Let's get to it.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and may be vegetarian/vegan if you exclude the chicken bouillon and use vegetable broth instead.
1. 1 cup of green lentils
2. 3 TBSPs of basmati rice
3. 2 TBSPs of hot pepper paste
4. 2 ripe tomatoes
5. 2 cups of spinach
6. 2 cloves minced garlic
7. 1 block of Goya chicken bouillon
8. 3 TBSPs of extra virgin olive oil
9. ¼ TSP of Aleppo pepper
10. ½ TSP of Kosher salt
11. Freshly ground black pepper
12. ½ lemon and parsley to garnish
Replacement suggestion: If you are a vegetarian or vegan, replace the chicken bouillon with 2 cups of vegetable broth in place of 2 cups of water.
1. First, grab a medium sized pot and place it onto the stove. Don't turn on the heat yet.
2. Finely dice 2 ripe tomatoes, chop up 2 cups of spinach, and mince 2 cloves of garlic.
3. Now, turn the heat on one stove burner to medium-high and place the pot on it.
4. Add in 3 TBSPs of extra virgin olive oil, and the 2 cloves minced garlic. Once you can smell the garlic, add in the tomatoes. Stir.
5. Add in 2 TBSPS of hot pepper paste. Stir.
6. After 5 minutes, add in 7 cups of already boiled water. Stir. Let it boil for 15 minutes.
7. Now, add in the 1 cup of lentils and 3 TBSPs of basmati rice. Stir.
8. Add in ¼ TSP of Aleppo pepper, ½ TSP of salt, and one block of chicken bouillon.
9. Let it boil for 45 minutes.
10. Once the lentils and basmati rice have cooked well, add the spinach and stir. Let it boil for 5 more minutes.
11. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
12. Garnish with lemon and parsley.